The Department of Anthropology of the Florida State University offers two (2) thesis-type programs for the Master's degree: Master of Arts (M.A.) or Master of Science (M.S.). An overall "B" average is required to remain in either of the programs.
Minimum standards for admission to the graduate program of the Department of Anthropology are:
- An upper-division cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for their junior and senior years of undergraduate work. Students must have satisfactory grades in the required undergraduate prerequisite coursework for the specialization which they wish to pursue;
- Revised Graduate Record Examination (rGRE) scores of 150 on the Quantitative Reasoning section, 150 on the Verbal Reasoning section, and a 3.0 or better on the writing section are recommended for a competitive application.
- To be competitive, applicants with degrees in disciplines other than Anthropology should have a strong undergraduate coursework foundation in archaeology, cultural anthropology, physical anthropology and the history of anthropology. Archaeology candidates are strongly encouraged to have field experience.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from former instructors, employers, or supervisors who know the student's work. Letters from former university level instructors are preferred.
- A Statement of Intent outlining the reasons for interest in anthropology and career objectives - not to exceed 1000 words. This statement must clearly identify the subdiscipline of anthropology you wish to pursue.
- For students whose native language is not English, an official TOEFL score of 80 is required by the University.
All documentation (transcripts, GRE scores, letters of recommendation and statement of intent) are due in the department office by January 15th of the year in which admission is desired. Classes are entered in the fall of each year.
If there are questions about requirements, program offerings, or deadlines, please contact our Academic Program Specialist, Scott McLemore at email@example.com.